Vegetarian/Vegan Chickpea Cashew Salad


My coworker kindly shared this salad with me the day I got back from my Taiwan/Japan trip. I was too tired to make my lunch that day and it was so refreshing and tasty! I was pleased at how easy it was to make.
1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
3 stalks green onions chopped
3 stalks celery chopped

1-2 T of (vegan) mayo (add a little at a time to taste)
1 T nutritional yeast (especially if using vegan mayo)
1/4 C unsalted cashew pieces (best if added when you'll eat it so that it will contribute a texture that contrasts the chickpeas)
salt and pepper to taste
Coarsely mash the chickpeas. Don't worry about that outer skin stuff. After you add the other stuff, it won't matter. I used a fork to mash them. I also used my fingers. What's fun is pinching the chickpea until it splits in half. Sometimes it flies all over the counter. It's very rewarding. You can also use a food processor if you're feeling fancy.

Add the rest of ingredients and mix.

You can chill for about 30 minutes or so or you can eat as is.

Serve with bread, crackers, etc. I think it would be a tasty lunch served between two slices of toasted rye bread. I know Vicky likes to eat a tuna salads with pasta.

1 comment:

firetwinkling said...

yeah, i love this so much :)))