Fresh Fruit Pie


First dessert for the College Meeting! It was pretty tasty--Manny tested and approved. The crust is easy to stretch out resulting in a shrunken crust, so be careful. Let the dough rest and don't roll too thin.
Crust
1 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C flour
2 T sugar
1/4 t salt
6 T butter
1 egg yolk
3-4 T cold water

Filling
1 8 0z. package of cream cheese
1/4 C sifted powdered sugar
1/4 C whipping cream (maybe substitute with milk next time)
1 T orange juice
1 t vanilla

Fruit Topping
3 kiwis cut into wedges
1/4 C blueberries (if frozen, defrosted and drained)
2 peaches cut into wedges
you can also use: raspberries, papaya, orange wedges, strawberries...anything citrus or berry like.

2 T apricot preserves (or marmalade)
1 t orange juice
Pastry
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Stir together flours, sugar, salt. Cut in butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender until it looks like course crumbs. Stir in egg yolk and then enough water to moisten and form a cohesive ball. Knead lightly a couple times, then roll out on a lightly floured surface till it's 12" in diameter for your 9" pan.

Trim pastry to 1/2" beyond the edge of pan, fold under, crimp as desired. Generously prick bottom and sides. Line with foil, bake for 10 min, then uncovered for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Filling
Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar until combined. Add whipping cream, or milk, oj, and vanilla beat until combined. Spoon into cooled pastry shell, cover and chill for at least 1 hour.

To serve
Arrange fruit on top of filling. Heat up the preserves and oj then drizzle over pie. (I just threw it in the microwave, but you can heat it in a saucepan).

4 comments:

John said...

Aaah, another one of yours I see. I do remember this one. Haven't seen it in awhile though :( I love fresh fruit, esp. berries of any kind and kiwi (not the bird). Its a shame fruit can't all be in season all the time. I've been kinda wondering who makes these crazy good desserts.

dianaeggplant said...

kiwis are great--so little, round, and fuzzy...i just want to put them in my mouth! (the fruit & the bird.) hmm...anyway, thanks again for your comments. as always, i am shocked and honored someone appreciates my cooking. :)

John said...

Yikes, bird too huh? I might pluck the feathers first. Endangered species for dinner anyone? I wonder how many other delicious things I have had on Friday night that were your creation. My stomach gurgles reading the site.

dianaeggplant said...

Haha I don't want to ingest a kiwi bird. I simply want to put it in my mouth! Oh, boy...this one is always hard to explain. Let's just go back to saying that we enjoy fresh fruit, especially berries. THE END.