Green Chili Meat Mix for Tacos


Susanne first made it for a home meeting and I had the honor of eating the leftovers, it was that good. This makes a lot, but it says it's perfect to freeze. Make sure to leave 1/2" space at top of container before freezing.

We don't have a dutch oven, so I experimented a little bit cooking the onions in a large sauce pan until brown and softened and then adding the rest of the sauce ingredients and cooking until thickened. Then I threw this into my slow cooker. In a cast iron skillet, I seared the outside of the meat, cut into 4 large slabs in a pan and then added it to the slow cooker and cooked for at least 6 hours on high.

I think I prefer it cooked the way the recipe calls, in the dutch oven. Mine turned out more watery than if you roast it because slow cookers retain a lot of moisture. And I had to cut the meat instead of shredding it with 2 forks because I only cooked it for 4-5 hours. But apparently it turned out good at the New and Returning Students Dinner! Leanna appreciated it so much she asked for this recipe and Priscilla said: "OH! i REALLY liked your slow cooked beef yesterday. was totally awesome and delish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

So this blog entry is dedicated to Priscilla and Leanna. *in a Barry Whitesque voice* This one is for you, baby...ohhhh yeah.
5 lb. beef roast (or combo of pork and beef roasts)
3 onions, chopped
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
14 oz. green-chili salsa (only $1.69/bottle of salsa at Trader Joe's; you'll need 2)
1-4 t garlic powder
4 T flour
4 t salt
1 t ground cumin
Preheat oven 275 degrees
Place roasts in roasting pan or dutch oven and cover with a tight lid (we cut into 4 large pieces, stuck it in our cast iron and tightly covered it with foil).

Roast for 5-6 hours until well done.
OR according to the recipe, you can cook with 1 C water in a pressure cooker for 40 minutes but our pressure cooker didn't quite do the trick. Reserve meat juices.

Shred meat with two forks and set aside.

Cook the rest of the ingredients in a skillet and add meat juices. Cook for 5 minutes until thickened. Cool.

Serve on corn tortillas with cheese, chopped onions, cilantro, tomatoes, lettuce, and whatever topping you like!

1 comment:

sueshoe said...

oh my oh my tortillas! taco beef! i don´t know what to do with myself...i´m overwhelemed with the desire for mexican food. pleeeeassssse