Almond Apricot Bars


Got the recipe from one of the Great News cooking classes. I like the sweet and the tart combination. I made it my first time for a sister named Phyllis but ended up burning the whole mess. Here is my second attempt at it. Apparently Laurie Liao liked them a lot! Wow...I'm impressed with myself especially after hearing that she doesn't like anything that Priscilla likes to eat!

Make sure to bake the bottom completely before topping it.
1/2 C dried apricots

1 stick (1/2 C) butter, cold or bring to room temp if you don't have a food processor
1/4 C sugar
1 C flour

1 large egg
1/3-1/2 C brown sugar
1/6 C flour (or about 1 oz.)
1/4 t baking powder
1/8 t salt
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t lemon juice

1/2 C almonds, coarsely chopped
1/4 C flaked coconut, unsweetened
Place apricots in a saucepan and add enough water just to cover them. Bring to boil for about 5 minutes until slightly softened. Drain well, then coarsely chop.

Prepare an 8x8" pan by lining with foil (enough so some go over the edges) and by spraying with oil and preheat oven to 350.

In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and flour. Mix until it is firm like cookie dough and evenly press into the bottom of the pan. (Or pulse a few times in a food processor. Just a few, until the butter is about pea sized, but not too much. If you do this, the mixture will be dry, cold and powdery. Press like above into the pan.) Poke the bottom with a fork if you can. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Seriously.

Meanwhile, beat the egg and add the brown sugar, flour, bp, salt, vanilla and lemon juice. Fold in nuts, coconut and apricots. Distribute the mixture in clumps on top for a varied texture/taste or spread evenly.

Bake for 25 minutes or until firm and golden. It will harden as it cools so don't burn it! Cool completely before cutting into bars.

Yield 16 bars in an 8x8" pan

2 comments:

altoidsmint said...

I was googling myself and found this particular entry (so it wasn't my intent to stalk you). I like how I am referred to as "Laurie Liao" whereas Priscilla was just.. Priscilla instead of Priscilla Sund. Well, now thanks to this post, whenever she googles herself, she will find this.

dianaeggplant said...

you are very observant, laurie liao. that is weird since i've only known like, 3 lauries in my life.