"Sunday Best Chocolate Cake" for Giulia!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GIULIA!!!

Pretty dense...Still on my quest for the tastiest cake...I thought the steps to make this cake was interesting though. Alternate hot water and flour? Maybe all that beating made it squishy. Maybe I need to invest in an upright mixer. *Sigh* I was waiting till I got married to request one of those on my registry, but what if that day never comes?!!...Maybe I'll get it for myself for my birthday this year....<--think-typing (i.e. like thinking aloud, but through my fingers.)

I layered two 8" layers with strawberries and whipped cream frosting. Unfortunately, the not fully cooled cake was so heavy, it melted the whipped cream and started sagging!! Bad cake, bad!! Actually, it's more like, bad Diana! Bad! I'm impatient like that. I had to remove all the side frosting and almonds and start again...which ended up being a tasty mistake because Erica, Susanne and I "cleaned up" the leftover ugly "mess". Hooray for mistakes!

1 1/2 C sugar
2/3 C canola oil
2 eggs
2 t vanilla

2 2/3 C flour
2/3 C cocoa
2 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
1 t salt

2 C boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil ,eggs and vanilla for 4 minutes. Sift together the dry ingredients. Add flour mixture alternately with boiling to the sugar mixture, beat well after each addition. Pour into oiled and floured pan and bake for 40 min (if 9x13) 30 min if 8" rounds, or until cake springs back to the touch.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

oh my gosh, i think i like this mistake. ooo yah. yum.