Vegan Chocolate Cake (Le Gateau de Betterave et Chocolat)


Happy Birthday #3 to Adalis & Noemi! Le Gateau de Betterave et Chocolat...translation = Chocolate and Beet Cake! What?! You may ask. Yes! It's a chocolate cake moistened by...BEETS! 'Tis true! Ron's cakes are always excellent, but I managed to screw it up this time. Not entirely sure what I did wrong. Probably had to do with trying to split the 15 oz can of beets.

I also used the German Chocolate Cake Frosting in this photo.

1 8 oz. can of cooked beets
2 C water
2 T any mild oil
1 T vanilla extract
2 t baking soda
3 C spelt flour
1 1/2 C + 1 T sugar, sucannat or any other dried sweetener (xylitol will not work, though)
1/2 C + 1 T cocoa powder
1 t salt
2 T apple cider vinegar

Pre-heat oven to 350 and lightly oil 9X13 baking pan or 8" pan.

Blend entire can of beets and liquid in blender until smooth. Add water, oil, vanilla and blend again.

Mix together all the dry ingredients. Add liquid mixture to dry and gently fold together. Gently add vinegar and whisk in gently. Transfer to baking pan and bake for 30-45 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know that your recipe is now a classic in my home! I've been baking this one for the last 3 years ! I use whipped coconut cream for the top and everyone loves it. Right now my kitchen smells chocolate: we are invited in an omnivore family and I think they will be impressed ;)
Thanks for your great recipe.

dianaeggplant said...

Thanks for your comment! I'm so happy your family enjoys such a healthy (and yummy) cake. I'd like to get your whipped coconut cream topping sometime if you are willing to share it too!