Pan Fried Falafel


5.11.08
Made for the Adamo Birthday Feast. The boys seemed to like it. Good flavor, yet a little fluffy. Maybe it's because we blended the eggs in the blender instead of adding them in later? We tried frying them in a pan after the baking to make it more crunchy, but it didn't really help. I guess deep frying is the way.

This recipe is an overnighter to soak the beans, but we did it in one day using canned beans. Maybe that also made it too moist. If using canned beans, try reducing the eggs to 2 egg whites.

12.27.08
This time I followed the recipe directions for the chickpeas, but instead of green onions I used yellow onions. And instead of parsley, I used spinach. I think it worked out pretty well. It had a wonderful flavor and it wasn't fluffy! I still think deep frying is the way to get an even crunchy coat on the outside, but pan frying is easier and uses less oil.

Sure, the primary reason I made these was because I have an overstock of pita bread and tzatziki sauce from Yifan's wedding, but the secondary reason was for my roommates and for all the wonderful saints that fed us on Thursday at the open meeting. Soooo sweet! I know it was soggy and looked disgusting, but I really hope they enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed their love and care.

1 C dried chickpeas
1/2 C chopped green onions
1/2 C chopped fresh parsley
1 t baking powder
1 t ground coriander
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t ground red pepper, cayenne
1 whole wheat tortilla, torn into pieces, or any sliced bread (I used 1 pita bread)
2 garlic cloves

3 egg whites

Wash and cover the chickpeas, cover with 2" water, and let stand 8 hours-overnight. Preheat oven to 350. Oil the baking sheet with olive oil.

Combine all ingredients up to garlic in food processor and pulse 8-10 times until finely chopped. Spoon mixture into bowl, add eggs, mix and let stand for 15 minutes.

Heat a pan, add 1 T oil. Using a 1.5 tablespoon scoop, scoop falafel onto the pan, press down with a spatula to make a little cake. Cook until browned and then flip.

Serve with Tzatziki Sauce, sliced cucumbers, sliced red onions, tomatoes and pita bread.

No comments: