Chopped Veggies, Rice and Bean Salad with Lemon Dressing


When May Wang lived with me, we totally went on a Macrobiotic, vegan health food kick. Now, I'm down from a kick to a toe nudge--at this point in my life, I cannot live without animal products, but I do love to eat and play with tasty vegetable based meals.

At that time, we volunteered for a friend who owned a Macrobiotic catering service and even listened to Neal D. Barnard speak about changing eating habits to control and even cure diabetes and other diseases. That's where we got this recipe.
Salad
1 15 oz. can of drained black eyed peas, or black beans
1/2 C or 3 stalks of green onions, finely sliced
2 celery stalks
1 medium tomato, diced
2 T finely chopped cilantro (or parsley)
1 1/2 C cooked brown rice, cooled (1/2 C uncooked)

Dressing
1/4 C lemon juice
1 T olive oil
1/4 t salt
1-3 cloves of garlic, crushed (I like to eat garlic until it's seeping out of my pores so 3 or more is best)

Combine all the salad ingredients except for the brown rice in a strainer. When all the liquids have dripped away, put into a large mixing bowl.

In a smaller bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Toss gently. Chill 1 to 2 hours if time permits.

Great as a side dish to compliment something sweet since this is so acidic. Or, you can stuff this inside a tortilla. Anna and I dipped this burrito into a sweet chili hot sauce.

Makes about 5 C, adapted from Neal Barnard's Seminar

No comments: