Hello, "Yellow-Fever" Dolly Bars


An Asian twist (or Asian Persuasion?) on the classic Hello, Dolly/7 Layer Cookie/Magic bar recipe. As Yifan would say, "Oooh! Hello, Dolly Bars? HELLOOO, BARS HERE I COOOME!"

Heidi, Yifan, Anonymous Commenter and I really really really, and I mean really liked these bars this past Lord's day. I liked it so much, apparently I was like a mousie licking the bottom of the pan and holding the crumbs in my tiny greedy paws.

AND they are so popular, the Johns (Kellar and Oh) made them for the Gallardas' home gathering tonight. Ahem. Might I add: the same night I decided to make them for the Gallardas' home gathering. Honestly, I am so torn! I can't decide whether I should be excited and impressed that the brothers made a dessert or utterly disturbed and angry that they would make the same dessert as me on the same night. The dear, sweet...nerve!!!! How dare they, those wonderful...ly awful brothers!

Sweet, milky, complex flavors and a great chew. It even calls for a food processor. SCORE!
Crust
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks) melted
3 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
(this is like, the whole box)
3/4 cup whole almonds

Layers
1/3 cup finely chopped candied ginger

1 1/3 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup white sesame seeds


1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in middle. Coat a 13-inch-by-9-inch baking dish with butter and line with parchment paper; set aside.

Combine butter and graham cracker crumbs in a medium bowl and mix until moist throughout. Sprinkle over bottom of baking dish and press down lightly to form an even layer; set aside.

Combine almonds and candied ginger in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until pieces are pea-sized, about 20 times. Add coconut and pulse a few more times until coconut is oat-sized.

Evenly sprinkle chocolate over graham cracker crust followed by ginger-nut mixture. Top with sesame seeds then drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over top. Bake bars until golden brown around edges and springy to the touch (but don't touch it with your fingers to test. Please use a fork), about 30 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.

Makes 24 bars, from Kate Ramos on Chow.com

No comments: