Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies


Dee used to make these for Vicky and me for ALL the holidays. I remember those soft, tasty sugar cookies frosted in all sorts of shapes with pretty pastel colors. Wait, was it Dee? Or...maybe it was someone else's mom... ? ? ? Anyway, so much for warm and squishy memories of people. The cookies were good, but of course being the foolish youth I was, I lost the recipe. I found this one, which seems to come pretty close...

Vivian and I chose to use chocolate kisses, but these do taste sweeter and better when rolled out and frosted.
1 C butter
8 oz. cream cheese or neufchatel cheese
1 C sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking powder

chocolate kisses, unwrapped

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and cream cheese, then add the sugar, yolk, vanilla.

Whisk the flour, baking powder together, then add to the mixture.

Either roll out the dough to 1/4" thickness and cut into your favorite shapes with cookie cutters OR scoop and roll into balls and flatten with a Hershey kiss.

If rolled out, bake for 7-10 minutes, cool completely and ice/decorate.
If with kisses, bake for 12-15 minutes.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

wow these cookies look great. Tks for sharing the recipe. Will try making them one day.

Cheers
Olivia

dianaeggplant said...

Thanks, Olivia! I hope you like them. Just a side note: if you over bake these, they will taste more like shortbread. Let me know how yours turn out. :)