Vegan Thumbprint Cookies


"This recipe for thumbprint cookies comes from the Tassajara Zen Mountain Center, the legendary Buddhist monastery in California. And I'll say this, those monks make some mean cookies. Actually, since they're vegan, I guess they'd be more properly classified as kind."

The original recipe called for baby rolled oats, but I honestly had no clue where to find that (only saw single grain oatmeal?). Online sources say you can substitute it with equal parts oat bran, but I was too lazy to get that so...food processor to the rescue! Hearty, with a nice flavor. I approve, maybe even the harshest critic too, but next time I'll process the almonds and the oats a little more.
1/2 C unbleached flour
1 C almonds, ground
2 C baby rolled oats/processed oatmeal/oat bran
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C maple syrup
1/2 C canola oil
1/4 C fruit preserves thinned with 1 tsp water (blueberry & raspberry pictured, but raspberry is my favorite)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, almonds, oats and salt. Add the syrup and oil and stir, mixing well. Let dough stand for 15 minutes before using. If you have a food processor, you can process the almonds, then oatmeal, then flour and salt then the wet ingredients directly in the processor. Let it sit inside the processor for 15 minutes.

Roll or scoop dough into 3/4" balls. (I used my trusty 1.5 T cookie scoop). Place close together on the baking sheets. Make a little dent in the top of each ball with your thumb and fill the holes with the fruit preserve.

Bake for 13 minutes. Do not overbake! Cool on a wire rack. After cooling they got crunchy but strangely, they were softer the next day.

Makes 21 1.5 T cookies, adapted from Care2.com

No comments: