Vegetarian Egg Drop Soup


Judy Chao’s specialty for her dad’s birthday. Reminds me of shark fin soup without the shark fin. I think it might have been the stock she used…Big asian can of something.
4 C vegetable stock
2 eggs, beaten lightly
2 green onions, chopped
1 tsp soy sauce
¼ tsp white pepper
½ tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water
optional: ½ C canned/fresh corn
Heat stock and add soy sauce, white pepper, sesame oil. Add cornstarch mixture and raise heat until soup begins to slightly boil.

Remove from heat and slowly drizzle the beaten egg over the top of the hot soup with one hand while gently stirring with the other. The egg will cook when it comes into contact with the soup. Add the green onions and heat a little more back on the stove.

Serves 5-6

5 comments:

Christina said...

Hello!
I found this recipe through a google search for Vegetarian Egg Drop Soup, and I can't wait to try it! Just to clarify: do I use the lighter-colored sesame oil or darker toasted sesame oil?
Thanks!

dianaeggplant said...

Hi! Either one, we used to the lighter colored one. :) Let me know how it went!

Christina said...

Made it tonight- it was awesome! Thanks so much!
One more question, though, when am I supposed to add the scallions?

dianaeggplant said...

Oh ho ho...sorry about that. It usually goes near the end. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Mitali Shah said...

I make this all the time. I came across your recipe a while back and my while family loves it!