May’s Date Cookies

May Wang is always coming up with crazy and delicious and healthy desserts. I first tried this one at her own FTTA graduation. "Wait a minute...aren't I supposed to be baking you treats for your graduation??" My roommates and I instantly fell in love. These have a nice chew in the dates and a biscuit like crunch in the crust department.

This was my first attempt at it by myself. I started out halving the recipe, but my crust turned out really wet, so I added more flour. Maybe next time I’ll add more almond meal. Maybe my dates were a little dried out because they had trouble sticking to anything. It made it really easy to roll out and work with, but makes the end result cookie more like paste and a side of crust. I baked it until the dates were slightly darker and bubbling a little. Cutting was also easy because of my oldie dates.

Here's a good brand for the dates that are delicious when properly stored:
2 1/2 cup buckwheat flour, or whole wheat flour (2 C whole wheat flour + ¼ C almond meal)
1/2 cup water (1/4 c)
1/2 cup safflower oil, or any other oil (1/4 C canola oil)
1/2 tsp salt (1/4 tsp)

one block date paste
4 sheets of parchment paper
Preheat oven 350 degrees
Cut open plastic around date block and unwrap; place on some parchment paper and heat in oven to make soft, easier to roll out
(about 5 min-don’t leave in too long or it will get hard on top).

In bowl, mix ingredients together. Knead into dough, may be a little crumbly, it’s okay. Between two parchment papers, roll out dough thinly (less than 1/4 inch thick). Fold parchment over on each side and roll out in order to make dough edges straight.

Slightly oil two more parchment papers and roll out heated date block thinly. Fold parchment paper over on each side to make the edges straight: match the size of the dough. Take off top parchment of date and flip date paste onto dough, match up edges as much as possible--once it touches, it will stick, you get one shot ☺ (←look how cute May is with her little emoticon.) You can cut off the extra material on the sides and piece together the dough and dates to get maximum surface area. With a knife, cut the sheet into squares,
It may help to have a wet towel handy to wipe edges of knife periodically so the dates won’t stick. No need to separate the squares, it will easily break apart after being baked.

Place the parchment paper on cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes. Let cool and break into squares.

My version made 16 squares

No comments: