Chewy Gingerbread Cookies


Jen Gallarda doesn't like gingerbread cookies...until now...haha Wow!

Turned out really soft and chewy, with a crunchy edge and a glittering top. Not too gingery, but a bit too much cloves, I think. So I upped the cinnamon and demoted the cloves. Not what I was expecting (the giant yummy cookie I got from Juli) but it was still pretty good and I would definitely make it again.
3/4 C butter, softened
3/4 C packed brown sugar is good but if you like things sweet, 1 C is good too
1 egg
1/4 C molasses (I used black strap molasses, which is good for you, but strong in flavor)

2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 C flour (12.5 oz)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt

extra granulated sugar for coating (1/4 cup or so)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer. Add the egg and stir in the molasses. In a separate bowl, combine the baking soda, flour and spices and salt. Combine the dry to the wet ingredients.

Shape into small balls--as usual, I used my tablespoon ice cream scooper contraption. (The recipe says to shape into small 2.5cm diameter cookies, which will result in 4 dozen little cookies.) Roll in sugar and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Do not flatten the balls. Bake for 10-11 minutes.


Makes 2 dozen cookies


Mmm! Melody made them too!! :)

No comments: